- 1 inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1.5 lb okra, wiped clean
- 0.75 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 0.25 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil on medium heat and add the mustard seeds. When they pop, add the onions and cook until soft and tender.
- Bash the ginger, garlic and salt into a paste.
- Add the paste, chili powder, and cumin powder cooking and stirring for around 15 minutes until caramelized, then set aside in a mixing bowl and clean the pan if needed.
- Remove the okra heads and halve the bodies.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil on high heat and add some of the okra making sure each touches the bottom, then add salt and fry for about 5 minutes, moving every minute or so, until nicely browned and crispy outside but soft inside. Put aside and repeat in batches.
- Mix the yogurt, flour, turmeric, salt in a separate pan and heat until warm but not bubbling, then remove from heat.
- Fold the okra into the onions and serve on a plate, spooning the sauce on top.
Part of #Recipes.
From Meera Sodha's Made in India.